Pens

DSCF1132 2

These wood pens are hand turned by George Orndorff of Salisbury, NC from wood reclaimed from historic sites, mostly in North Carolina. One of a kind, fully functional, availability is limited since when the wood is all used up, there will be no more. See the descriptions of the different woods below. Two styles are available - “smooth” as seen below or “grooved” as seen above. Pens may be finished satin or glossy. Select the wood, finish and style for your piece of history. Pens are $20.00 each plus shipping.

DSCF1131 2

Woods --

Kesler Cotton Mill:
   Turned from wood reclaimed from the Kesler Cotton Mill, also known as Cannon Mills #7 in Salisbury, NC. Built in 1895 to produce cotton thread, the mill remained in service until August of 2000. In 2009, the building was considered unsafe and torn down. This wood was reclaimed at that time. The wood is hard pine with beautiful grain and color. You can still smell the pine sap. 

 Eames Stamp Mill:
    The Eames Stamp Mill was built in 1881 by Richard Eames of the New Gold Hill Limited Mining Company of London, England to crush gold ore from the Randolph Mine, Gold Hill, NC. It remained in service until 1893. In the early 1940’s the mill was destroyed in a fire and the building was completely lost. In 2006, while excavating the site of the mill, ends of large support beams measuring more than a foot square that had escaped the fire were found still buried underground. In 2011, what was left of the beams after years of worms, termites, and wood rot was reclaimed to make these pens. The wood is oak, and over the years of being buried has taken on a dark gray color, in some places a dark blue color.

Gold Hill School House:
     The Gold Hill School House was built in Gold Hill, NC in 1823 on land owned by the Cunningham sisters of Gold Hill, NC. They taught school there for many years. Later a Dr. Rothrock would teach at the school. The building was eventually abandoned. Over the years what was left of the school was used as a storage shed. In 2011 what was left of the falling down building was finally knocked down. Only one hand hewn floor beam from the original school was saved and reclaimed. The wood is oak and has wonderful natural grain and color

The Benjamin Hutch Family Homestead:
      Built in 1840 at the corner of Oak and Middle Streets in Bath, Maine, the house is still in use today. In 2011, while the house was undergoing some renovation and remodeling a interior wall was removed and this wood was reclaimed at that time. Being 170 years old and being rough cut from pine or hemlock the wood is very very light in weight, but its great grain and color still remain.

Union Copper Mine:
    Opened in 1899 and worked until 1907, the Union Copper mine produced both gold and copper. Located 1.45 miles southwest of Gold Hill, with a depth of 600 feet, it was the largest mining operation in Gold Hill. In the 1990’s the spoil dump piles were used to pave roads in Rowan County. After years of neglect the buildings of the mine fell down, but this small timber was saved by a local resident and stored to carve wooden duck decoys. The wood is a very tight grain pine with beautiful color.